Delavan Christian Reformed Church

Delavan Christian School and Delavan Christian Reformed Church

Delavan Christian School is adjacent to Delavan Christian Reformed Church. The school uses the church's sanctuary for weekly chapels and special programs such as Veteran's Day, Christmas program, and graduation. The church's fellowship hall in the basement is used for gatherings such as the Hostess Supper, Doughnuts for Dads, Muffins for Moms, and classroom activities.

 

Delavan Christian Reformed Church History

In the late 1920s, several people of the Reformed persuasion began to meet weekly in Hebron, Illinois for worship services. It soon was noted that most of the people attending were from the Delavan, Wisconsin area. In July 1930, it was decided to hold all future worship services in the Delavan area. A church building was purchased at the corner of Sixth and High streets in 1930 and the Delavan Christian Reformed Church was officially organized on Thursday, May 28, 1931, with eleven families and a total of fifty-four people. In 1948, the decision was made to purchase ten acres of land at the north end of Eighth Street as the future site of a new church building. By 1951, the membership had grown to ninety families. That same year, the ground was broken to begin construction of a church building on the property. A church basement was constructed first with the superstructure completed and dedicated to the Lord in 1958. A parsonage was built adjacent to the church in 1967. In 1991, an addition was built to provide more classrooms, nursery, restroom, and narthex space in addition to making the building handicapped accessible. Our current membership consists of 115 families, 294 professing members, and 187 baptized members — a total of 480 people. The church council consists of the pastor, nine elders, and seven deacons.


http://www.delavancrc.org